This concert will be given by Elizabeth Walker on baroque flute and Michael Overbury on the harpsicord. They will be performing a virtuoso performance of Baroque and early classical music for these two instruments
The programme is as follows :
C.P.E. Bach Sonata in D major Wq 83/H.505 for flute & obligato harpsichord
H. Purcell Pieces for solo harpsichord
- Prelude in G
- A New Ground
- Dance for the Fairies from The Fairy Queen
- Chaconne from The Fairy Queen
J.M Boismortier Suite no 1. Opus 35 for solo flute
C. Debussy Syrinx for solo flute
- Composed by Debussy in 1913 as incidental music for Psyché, a dramatic poem by French symbolist poet and playwright Gabriel Mourey, the work for solo flute known today as Syrinx, has since become a standard of the solo flute repertoire. By performing this great work on baroque flute, new insights both harmonic and tonal are revealed.
Richard Rodney Bennett A Week of Birthdays for solo harpsichord
These seven short pieces reflect the traditional rhyme: –
- Monday’s child is fair of face,
- Tuesday’s child is full of grace.
- Wednesday’s child is full of woe,
- Thursday’s child has far to go.
- Friday’s child is loving and giving,
- Saturday’s child works hard for a living.
- And the child born on the Sabbath day is bonny and blithe, and good and gay
J.S. Bach Sonata in B minor BWV 1030 for flute & obligato harpsichord